Monday, July 9, 2012

Goosebumps, Referrals, and Perfection--June 19

Hello my friends and family and fans!

(Just kidding about the fans.)

Brazil is wonderful. It's winter! Which, in Petrolina, means a little less than frying-an-egg-on-your-forehead temperature. In fact, the other morning I was studying at around 8am, and the wind blew in and CHILLED me. I got goosebumps all over...and had to go change into my PJ pants and a sweater! Que é isso, gente?? It was probably around 65 or 70 degrees. I laughed so hard at my trainer when this happened to her in Catú last "winter"...now my filhinha (little daughter) is laughing at me (except for her, 60 degrees is really cold and 80 is really hot. Oh man. Islanders.)

This may be my last week in Petrolina. I can't describe how much I love this stake, and how much I learned here. It will be extremely hard to leave...which is exactly why I need to. I am like a tree growing next to another tree. If you want to separate the roots that are already all entangled in the roots of the other tree, you'll need to do it SOON. If you want much longer, removing me could cause serious damage. Or death.

Sunday was stake conference. Chique de mais. Elder David G. Ferndandes, area authority, spoke. What was the topic? Completely missionary work.

"Where is the responsibility to find people, talk about the Gospel, and bring people to church? With the MEMBERS!" (we missionaries were all praying silently at this point for the members to pay attention)

And my favorite:

"Going on a mission is the right thing to do. You don't need to pray and ask, just GO!"

I know that missions are true. Missionaries are not perfect, members are not perfect, ward mission leaders and bishops are not perfect, and investigators are not perfect. But missions are perfect. Jesus Christ was and is perfect. And we can all become perfect as He is, as we strive to help others do the same.

Sister Petty

P.S. Read Jesus the Christ. Don't listen to people who say it's hard and thick and difficult. Just read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment